Main job function
The Senior IT Engineer's role is to ensure the stable operation of the in-house computer network and to design, install, administer, and optimize company servers and related components to achieve high performance of the various business applications supported by tuning the servers as necessary. This includes assisting the IT Manager in planning, developing, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all network hardware, software, and communication links and ensuring the availability of client/server applications, configuring all new implementations, and developing processes and procedures for ongoing management of the server environment.
The person will also analyze and resolve end user hardware and software computer problems in a timely and accurate fashion. The Senior IT Engineer will assist the IT Manager in overseeing the security, integrity, and safety of the data center/server farm.
· Provide 2nd and 3rd line technical support.
· Perform Server Management (Domain, Exchange, AD, File, Print, and Storage).
· Assist with network design and capacity planning, including setting up of VLANS and other network configurations.
· Oversee installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of end user workstation hardware, software, and peripheral devices
· Take ownership of the Helpdesk system.
· Assist with strategies for client/server implementations; and the infrastructure required to support those strategies.
· Assist with new server systems, applications, and hardware.
· Network, server and device capacity and alert monitoring and management
· Implement policies, procedures, and technologies (including firewalls) to ensure IT Security.
· Check help desk database for entries on server and server resource issues; prioritize and respond to help desk tickets as appropriate.
· Plan and implement server upgrades, maintenance fixes, and vendor-supplied patches.
· Provide telecommunications support
· Recommend and execute modifications to server environment to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
· Develop and maintain server and network documentation.
· Provide guidance to junior members of the team.
· Administer equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
· Practice asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
· Perform server and security audits.
· Perform and maintain system backups and recovery via backup software.
· Monitor and test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
· Recommend, schedule, and perform network improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
· Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.
· Assist in setting up and maintaining a Change management system
· Assist in managing and maintaining the Storage environment
Degree in IT, BSC IT or BSC Computer Science
At least five years equivalent work experience
Knowledge of the following will be beneficial, but in not a requirement: FortiGate Firewalls, HP Procurve Switches, Networking / VLANS, EMC Storage
Experience installing, configuring, and maintain all manners of server hardware and associate network equipment.
Familiarity with TCP/IP and other network protocols, firewall management and operating system configuration.
Knowledge of storage technologies such as SAN or NAs, AS WELL AS Active Directory / Global Catalogue
Analytical skills, motivational skills, communication skills, team work, highly disciplined and proactive, calm under pressure.
A Consultant will be in touch if you are shortlisted for the position. Please consider your application unsuccessful should you not have been contacted within 2 weeks. We will keep your CV on our database and contact you should you match the criteria of any other vacancies.