The Retail Buyer is required to purchase and manage merchandise within the company’s Trading product portfolio. The incumbent will plan and select the range, type and quantity of products according to customer demand (e.g. price, quality and availability); trends; store policy and budget. The Retail Buyer will source new and review existing merchandise to ensure products remain competitive. By fully understanding customer needs, the appointed Retail Buyer will be required to maximise profits and provide a commercially viable range of merchandise at competitive prices. Keeping up to date with market trends and reacting to changes in demand are key elements of the role.
Main job function
- Consistently review the performance indicators across product portfolio.
- Ensure the development of profitable product assortments.
- Manage plans for stock levels and react to change in demand and logistics.
- Meet with suppliers and negotiate terms of contract, including arranging letters of credit to organize payments and placing of orders via related third party or directly with factories.
- Maintain relationships with existing suppliers and source new suppliers for future products.
- Identify growth opportunities and risks in assortment, and develop contingency plans.
- Build strong vendor relations and put together solid business plans, including strong and detailed promotional programs.
- Liaise with other departments within the organisation to ensure project completion.
- Monitor and manage delivery schedules and communication throughout organization (esp. factory to manage arrival/planning at factory to facilitate unpacking).
- Analyse consumer buying patterns and predict future trends.
- Attending trade fairs abroad, to select and assemble a new collection of products;
- Visit stores and suppliers locally.
- Participate in promotional activities as agreed with Marketing Manager.
- Generate reports and sales forecasts, as well as ensure analysis of sales figures.
- Liaise with store personnel to ensure product supply meets demand.
- Seek merchandise feedback from customers.
- Train and mentor support staff.
- Ensure internal product management and maintenance.
- Ensure maintenance of inventory both internally as well as on retailer Product Management Systems.
- Plan and manage Product Quality Control System that is to be implemented at both factories.
- Conduct an overall product profitability analysis and make recommendations to managing director in respect to shipping/imports management that includes the clearing, forwarding and bond store management (options analysis).
- Experience and understanding of import merchandising and supply chain and forex costing models is essential.
- Visit maintain relationships and grow business to business customers.
- Manage and maintain online ranges and services.
- Experience in buying for national chains and cross- border buying.
▪ Senior certificate at NQF level 4 or equivalent qualification.
▪ Diploma or equivalent in business management qualification specializing in Marketing.
▪ A working knowledge of the latest Microsoft packages (Word, Excel, and Power Point & Outlook).
▪ Minimum of 5 years retail buying experience within the home textiles, home décor industry.
A Consultant will be in touch if you are shortlisted for the position. Please consider your application unsuccessful should you not have been contacted within 2 weeks. We will keep your CV on our database and contact you should you match the criteria of any other vacancies.