Our client is a large residential University in Durban. It is also one of the leading research intensive and teaching Universities in South Africa and the continent.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 07 July 2022
Main job function
The primary purpose of the job is to design, implement, maintain, and support IT infrastructure to improve efficiency, manage cost, and minimize security risks. The IT infrastructure includes but is not limited to the data center, network and server services, telephony, servers, storage, access control, surveillance system, audiovisuals, and related software.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Strategic alignment of technology, Installation, and customization
o Analyses the ICT strategy, determine IT Infrastructure implications and align to the future direction of technology.
o Ensure the efficiency, robustness, fit-for-purpose, and integration of IT infrastructure solutions against the business requirements of the University.
o Propose a plan of action, obtain approval and buy-in, design and/or source solutions and facilitate implementation and follow-up on results.
o Research, design, consult with industry experts, and provide industry leadership in the innovative design of leading-edge technology implementing this in the largest environment of its kind in the province and at a world-class standard.
o Analyze user requirements and participate in capacity forecasting, asset optimization, efficient utilization, and defining the technology specifications underpinning the provision of IT services.
· Installation, Maintenance, Troubleshooting, Optimization, and Integration of specialized systems
o Ensure all installations and configurations are achieved using documented best practice system architectures. Installations and configurations include but are not limited to:
- Security Servers.
- Internet routers.
- Firewall systems.
- Core Networking tables and IOS.
- Audio Visual, Crestron, and Fusion Server
- Access Control Systems
- Virtual Infrastructure and cloud-based systems
- Physical Server Infrastructure
- Wireless (On Premise and Cloud based)
- Server Room and switching center Infrastructure
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and fire protection systems
o Assess the impact of critical system downtime, and derive and implement plans to mitigate the impact on the business.
o Proactively ensure that potential IT infrastructure availability problems or performance bottlenecks are identified and corrected before the University is impacted.
o Take ownership of complex problems and ensure that all such problems are speedily resolved.
o Ensure that IT Infrastructure and related software services are operating at optimal performance levels.
o Liaise with vendors in ensuring maintenance contracts and SLAs are adhered to.
o Provide consolidated IT infrastructure view to ensure efficient management thereof.
o Ensure proactive incident identification using early warning systems.
o Consult with Client base and expert partners on various aspects of IT infrastructure provisioning.
o Attend meetings to evaluate user requirements and recommend solutions to users.
o Contribute to sectional and divisional Operational and Capital Budget requirements.
o Have a good working knowledge of financial protocols
o Participate in procurement and tendering processes.
o Provide technical consulting services in IT Infrastructure and related topics.
o Attend and make presentations or exhibitions at national conferences or other similar events.
· Leadership, Project Management & Research
o provide leadership, guidance, and mentorship to team members.
o Takes overall responsibility for the technology stream in which he/she is the leading expert
o Interacts with other specialists in different domains to ensure a coherent and comprehensive approach to complex problems.
o Assist and guide ICS staff and the User community in problem-solving techniques.
o Design and provide in-house training to departmental staff when necessary.
o Be able to facilitate effective mentorship training programs to team members and user base.
o Initiate project proposals for approval.
o Provide technical lead in projects to ensure that work packages are delivered on time, on budget, and at an acceptable quality standard.
o Keep abreast of industry developments and trends and provide a business value proposition for the adoption of technologies.
· Matric and 3-year IT tertiary qualification or Information Management or Information Systems qualification on at least NQF Level 7.
· 8 years of relevant and proven working experience in the provisioning of large and complex IT infrastructure solutions and related software such as data center, network and server services, telephony, servers, storage, WI-FI, IP surveillance, and Server Virtualization.
· Advantageous: Relevant industry-recognized professional IT certification (e.g., CCNA, VMWARE, Palo Alto Firewall, Pelco, Hikvision)
· Advantageous: Proven experience with installation & configuration of networking and communications equipment (Cisco, Palo Alto, Polycom, Dell, Enterasys Wireless, Impro Access Control)
· Advantageous: Proven experience with installation & configuration of virtual infrastructure and associated components (VMWare, Virtual Center)
· Advantageous: Proven experience with installation & configuration of Server Hardware (Dell, IBM, HP, SUN)
A Consultant will be in touch if you are shortlisted for the position. Please consider your application unsuccessful should you not have been contacted within 2 weeks. We will keep your CV on our database and contact you should you match the criteria of any other vacancies.