Our client is a large residential University in Durban, is looking for a Director: Student Academic Administration. The closing date for receipt of applications is 2 August 2022
Main job function
The incumbent will be responsible for strategic leadership and overall co-ordination and management of the division, ensuring service excellence in the various academic administrative support functions of the University (School, College and Central), spanning application through to graduation. The broad portfolios forming part of the Division include;
- Applications, including general applicant and student enquiries (UKZN General Enquiries Offices).
- Admission and Registration of both undergraduate and postgraduate students (+45 000 students).
- Student Records (both current and archived).
- College Handbooks and the General Academic Rules.
- Examinations, timetabling and venue-bookings.
- Co-ordination of the Student System, and
- Regulatory documentation development and oversight.
The incumbent will be required to work closely with a range of key stakeholders, including but not limited to,
- Internally, the University Teaching and Learning and Research Offices; the College Directors of Professional Services, Managers of College Academic Services and School Operations Managers; Corporate Relations Division (CRD); Student Services and the Student Representative Council (SRCE and CRCs); Information & Communication Services (ICS); and Institutional Intelligence (II).
- Externally, with the Department of Higher Education (DHET); Department of Basic Education (DBE); Universities South Africa (USAf); the KZN Central Applications Office (CAO); Central Applications Clearing House (CACH); Professional Bodies and other service providers.
- The incumbent is also a member of a number of University Committees, including the Executive and Leadership Forum (ELF); the Academic Exclusion Appeal Committee (AEACOM); Senate and a number of committees of Senate, and is expected to play an active role within these bodies, and serves on the CAO Board on behalf of the University.
The position requires the aptitude to lead and manage a large and diverse team. The incumbent will also need to work independently, with keen attention to detail, all undertaken while under pressure of rigid deadlines and other regulatory requirements. The ability to manage and analyse information is also required, as are good organizational and logistical skills, as well as well-developed problem solving and decision-making skills.
The Director also acts as the budget controller within the division.
The incumbent will be required to travel between campuses, and may at times be required to fulfil ad hoc tasks/responsibilities at the request of the Registrar in collaboration with other members of the Executive.
- An appropriate Master’s Degree.
- Eight years (8) relevant broad-based experience in University Academic Administration, including;
- at least five (5) years in a similar role at a senior managerial level (including line management and budgetary control), where independent judgement and initiative was expected in operational and / or project management.
A Consultant will be in touch if you are shortlisted for the position. Please consider your application unsuccessful should you not have been contacted within 2 weeks. We will keep your CV on our database and contact you should you match the criteria of any other vacancies.